St Matthew's Anglican Church
34 Ocean Street, Bondi.
Original builder unknown, rebuilt C. Leggo 1921,
restored 1976-7 Pitchford & Garside (2/10 mechanical and tubular-pneumatic)
From SOJ Autumn 1997, Winter 1997:
The early history of this organ is not known but it is believed to be of English origin. It was installed in St Matthews in 1900 and had been bought as a second-hand instrument for one hundred pounds. A picture of the interior of the church in 1901 shows the organ housed in an interesting case against be north wall. It was renovated in 1921 by Charles Leggo who added one stop (pipework supplied by Fincham) and supplied new pallets for the Swell soundboard. In 1921 plans were prepared for an organ chamber which was finally built attached to the south wall in 1923. The organ was moved into the chamber at this time which resulted in drastic alterations to the casework. A Mr Hunter took charge of the removal, rebuilding and revoicing of the organ. Mr Hunter also gave a recital to mark the occasion.
A major overhaul was undertaken in 1976-77 by Pitchford & Garside, who transferred the Suabe Flute to the Swell division, and put a Fifteenth in its place, using secondhand Mixture pipework.
The specification is:
Stopped Diapason Bass
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Mechanical and tubular-pneumatic