St Luke's Anglican Church
cnr Elizabeth Drive & Northumberland Street, Liverpool
Roger Pogson 1970, using 1888 Richardson pipework (2/18 mechanical)
From SOJ April/May 1981, Winter 1996:
The historic church of St Luke, built in 1819, has been the home of several organs. Its first instrument (builder unknown) was a small single-manual barrel and finger organ installed in 1831. It was replaced later by a slightly larger 1878 Nicholson & Co. organ, which experienced some alteration and repairs by Arthur Jones prior to installation at Moore Theological College Chapel, Newtown in 1970.
In 1969 some pipes and parts were acquired from the 1888 W.E. Richardson organ at St Paul's Anglican Church, Redfern. The building had been sold to the Greek Orthodox Church. In 1970 Roger Pogson used these materials to build what is mostly a completely new tracker action organ . A new Swell soundboard was provided with some extra stops added to this division .
The organ is rather unusual in that is has black naturals and white sharps, the Swell is on the lower manual, the Swell stops are on the right hand side and the Great stops are on the left hand side. Also, the Great is coupled to the Swell, not the Swell to Great as is the norm.
The specification is:
Couplers (hitch down)
Great to Swell
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Tremulant to Swell
Balanced Swell pedal
Church photos: Trevor Bunning (Oct. 2007)