Chapel of the Maternal Heart of Mary
(formerly Lewisham Hospital)

West Street, Lewisham

M.P. Möller, Hagerstown, Maryland, USA, 1927
2 manuals, 14 speaking stops, 7 couplers, electro-pneumatic action

Historical and Technical Documentation by Pastor de Lasala
© OHTA 2016 (last updated October 2016)


 





 

The Chapel of the Maternal Heart of Mary is in a revival Byzantine style with a very high ceiling and very generous acoustics. The Möller organ, op 4981, is located in the liturgically north end of the rear gallery of the Chapel. It is a twin to the one at Mosman Uniting Church op 5446, albeit built two years earlier in 1927.

The organ speaks across the gallery and also, partly down the nave, through a small opening on the right hand side of the chamber. The specification, which features duplexing of Swell stops from the Great, is virtually identical in all but a few small details.

Great
Open Diapason
Stopped Diapason
Dulciana
Viol d'Orchestre
Octave
Flauto Traverso
Cornopean

Swell (duplexed)
Stopped Diapason
Dulciana
Viol d'Orchestre
Flauto Traverso
Cornopean

Pedal
Bourdon
Flute


8
8
8
8
4
4
8


8
8
8
4
8


16
8


A
B
C

D
E


A
B
C
D
E


F
F
   

Swell to Swell 16
Swell to Swell 4
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Swell to Great
Swell to Great 4
Swell to Great 16
Great to Great 4
Tremulant (affecting entire organ)

Swell Pedal
Crescendo Pedal
Great to Pedal reversible toe stud

Although the organ is unplayable, it is more original than its sister in Mosman: the Lewisham organ is in its original location; the pneumatic action remains; the crescendo pedal with its gauge is extant. The stop action employs a curious mini roller board mechanism. There are two setter pistons for both the Great and Swell divisions and these are located over the stop rail.

For a number of years the organ has suffered from water damage from rain entering the organ chamber. The roof has since been repaired, With the exception of the largest Bourdon pipes, a number of them badly split from water damaged currently stored in the basement of the chapel, all the pipework is intact and is in pristine condition.

The organ has been silent for several decades, and a fundraising project for restoration has been organised by Fr Damonn Sypher. [Please click on blue link to donate.]
























Photographs: Pastor de Lasala (October 2016)