Katoomba Uniting Church (formerly Methodist)
68 Katoomba Street, Katoomba
Charles Richardson 1915, rebuilt S.T. Noad & Son 1972,
J.W. Walker 1980, Peter D.G. Jewkes 1997 (2/10 mechanical and electro-pneumatic)
From SOJ Spring 1998:
A somewhat larger organ of two manuals and pedals by Charles Richardson was built in 1915 for the Katoomba Congregational Church. In 1972 the organ was moved to the Katoomba Methodist (now Uniting) Church by S. T. Noad & Son. By this stage, several ranks had been replaced (or were possibly secondhand in 1915). In 1980, the organ was damaged by water after a fire at the front of the church. J. W. Walker & Sons (Aust) Pty Ltd carried out a renovation and tonal alterations in 1981, adding a 2' stop to the Swell. In 1997, P. D. G. Jewkes Pty Ltd installed a tenor C Oboe 8' on the Swell.
Peter Jewkes adds (Sept 2009): "The Swell 2’ at Katoomba Uniting was added by Walkers in place of the original Celeste, and the original Oboe was discarded at that time. The c.1915 Fincham Oboe which we added in 1997 replaced the one which Walkers removed. These “new” pipes were from an unoriginal stop added to the Fincham at St Peter’s, Richmond."
The specification is:
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
(replaced Celeste 1981 Walkers)
TC (added 1997 using contemporary Fincham pipework)
Mechanical action to manuals
Electro-pneumatic action to pedals (installed by S.T. Noad & Son)
Photos Trevor Bunning, July 2006