Uniting Church (formerly Methodist)
34 College Street, Drummoyne
W.L.Roberts 1928 (2/14 tubular-pneumatic)
From SOJ February/March 1988, written by Kelvin Hastie:
The organ in this church was built by the Adelaide builder, W. L. Roberts, in 1928. It is interesting to note that the nameplate reads "Roberts Ltd. Sydney", this probably stemming from the fact that at the time Roberts had numerous contracts in Sydney. Of the 11 organs which he built for NSW churches between 1919 and 1930 only this instrument and the 5-rk unit organ at Holy Trinity Concord West survive basically unaltered.
The Drummoyne organ is characteristic of much of the work of W. L. Roberts: the casework is tastefully executed in the style of the period, a detached drawstop console with tubular-pneumatic action is employed; some of the pipework originates from Palmer of London [definitely not Palmer - Peter Jewkes (Mar 08)] and the specification is typical of the period, relying entirely on unison and octave registers for the manuals.
One unusual feature in the organ is the 73-note swell soundboard. The extra top octave of pipes in this division is provided so that the Swell Octave coupler may be used through to the top C on the Swell manual.
The organ has been well-maintained over the years and could benefit from a full-scale sympathetic restoration. In view of the fact that this is one of the last intact surviving examples of Roberts' work it is to be hoped that it can be preserved.
The specification is:
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
3 pistons each for Great and Swell
Balanced Swell pedal
Photos: Peter Jewkes (March 2008)